At NZ Manufacturing, we’re always focused on helping individuals of all ages stay in shape and recover more effectively from injuries. This is why we first invented the MediCordz® line and it’s why we continuously innovate our products to better meet the needs of our clientele.
One area where resistance training has shown huge benefits is helping individuals to maintain and build strength as they age.
We’ve put together a quick guide to help you understand the importance of resistance training as you age, as well as some concrete examples of exercises you can use to improve your strength using resistance training equipment from NZ Manufacturing.
Top Benefits of Resistance Training For Older Adults
There are a whole host of benefits that resistance training provides for older individuals, a few of which include:
- Reduced Risk of Injury – It’s no mystery that as we get older, our joints can often become stiff and weak unless we participate in regular physical activity. Weak and unlubricated joints are more prone to injury, which is why resistance training can be so beneficial as it can help to strengthen and lubricate these joints significantly.
- Maintain and Build Muscle Mass – You may be surprised to know that we begin to lose muscle mass as early as our mid to late 20’s. This rate increases significantly once we enter our 60’s. While resistance training may not be able to stop muscle loss, it can slow it down significantly.
- Improved Balance – As we grow older, injuries can occur not just from strenuous activity, but from simple slips and falls as well. Resistance band equipment from NZ Manufacturing can help improve balance and in turn reduce the threat of injuries.
Here are a few simple resistance training exercises you can try using our MediCordz® resistance bands to help build strength, increase flexibility and joint mobility.
All of the exercises below can be done using our MediCordz® Tubing Rehab Kit.
- Chest Pull – The chest pull is a great upper body exercise for seniors. Simply grab both sides of a resistance band and position the band in front of your chest with your elbows bent. Next, pull the band with both hands as you bring it closer to your chest and do your best to straighten your arms. Return to the starting position and repeat.
- Bicep Curl – The bicep curl is a great exercise to help strengthen your arms. For this exercise you can step on the middle of your resistance band and grip both ends with your hands. Next, raise your arms to around the same level as your chest and then return to the starting position and repeat. Think of your elbows as hinges when moving your arms toward your chest during this exercise.
- Leg Press – This exercise should be done with you sitting on a chair. You’ll want to hold both ends of the resistance band in your hands. You’ll then place your foot in the middle of the band with your foot raised at least a few inches off of the ground. Bend your knee towards you and straighten it out again and repeat. Once you’ve done this several times on one leg, you can then switch to your other leg.
Interested in Learning More About the Benefits of Resistance Training Equipment For Seniors?
Proven exercises and proven results make MediCordz® Gear a favorite among physical therapists and chiropractors. Not only is our MediCordz® Tubing Rehab Kit extremely popular, we also offer the MediCordz® Bungie Rehab Kit, featuring braided nylon over the rubber tubing for added safety and durability.